I hear a lot of business owners tell me that they don’t want to use Facebook for their marketing because they personally can’t stand using the site. I understand completely – I almost never use Facebook for personal reasons any more. That doesn’t mean I don’t use it, though – in fact, I’m on Facebook several times a day. It has become my go-to hangout for business conversations and insights. Are you ignoring Facebook’s benefits for your business because you don’t like using it for personal reasons?
Facebook has two billion mark monthly users. TWO BILLION. Are you trying to tell me that at least some portion of those two billion humans aren’t at all interested in what you sell?
One of my favorite things about Facebook, actually, is how easy they make it to interact via live video, using Facebook Live. You literally just have to log into Facebook (from your personal or business page) and click a button that says “start a live video,” and you’re all set to start talking directly to your audience.
How to Use Facebook Live
This is what it looks like – you’ll see I’m on my Jess Cook Online page, and these are my options:
In order to go live, all I’d have to do is click that red icon and I’d be good to go. You have the option to give your live video a title and description, and then you just start talking! You can also add comments and notes as you go, and interact with your live viewers by responding to them orally or typing in the comments.
One of the really cool features of Facebook Live is that after you finish your video, you can go in and add subtitles to it automatically! If you’ve ever scrolled Facebook then you know that videos are automatically muted, so if you add these subtitles to your videos then people can watch them without sound (super important for your audience members who are watching Facebook when they’re supposed to be working, ha!).
To activate this feature, simply navigate to your video and click “edit,” then “options.” You’ll see video captions as one of the options, and if you click on “automatic” then the captions will auto-populate. From there you have the opportunity to correct anything they missed before you finalize the editing process.
Why Use Facebook Live
With a little bit of practice, you can figure out all the ins and outs of using Facebook Live. But maybe you’re still not sure why you’d want to? Here are some ideas for you:
- Live video is attention-grabbing. It stands out from the crowd of text and still images when someone’s scrolling through Facebook. Adding the closed captions helps even more with that.
- Live video gives you instant feedback and interaction with your audience. It’s a chance to show them things and get their opinions in real-time.
- Live video lets you demonstrate tips and tricks, show off your products, and give a sneak peek behind the scenes of your business.
- Live video puts YOU front and center in your business. It shows people that there’s a real person behind this brand, and gives them the feeling of interacting with you face-to-face.
- You can download your Facebook Live videos to your computer or other device and then share them on other platforms, such as YouTube or Instagram.
Join me for Facebook Live
Join me as I run my VERY FIRST Facebook Live video! I’ll be talking about how I’m using Live, and giving ideas for how you can incorporate Facebook Live into your creative business as well. I’ll be going live in my Facebook group on Tuesday, August 15, at 12:00 pm central time (US). If you hang out with me live, you’ll be able to ask questions in the comments!
To join me LIVE, put it on your calendar (August 15th at noon central), and then click here to join my Facebook Group, dedicated to providing resources & support for creative business owners like you!